Before Victoria and Olly leave for their day, Victoria gives us an extra key to her home and says make yourselves comfortable and we'll see you at dinner time. Unbelievable!! We enjoyed a relaxing morning, getting laundry done and answering e-mails and then went into Canberra for the afternoon to visit the Australian National Museum. Before leaving Victoria's home we make a point of writing down her address and a few directions on how to get back.
We enjoy an excellent BBQ dinner with great conversation. Victoria is full of really good advice about Australia, here are a few of here tips:
1. Do not swim at any unfamiliar beach . The rip tides along the coast are very strong and unpredictable. Only swim at a beach with lifeguards and swim between the two flags they place to indicate the "safe and patrolled" zone. (We followed this loosly, taking extra precaution if we were at an unpatrolled beach).
2. Be aware of SHARKS!!! They are all along the coast and many people do have encounters with them, especially if there is a penguin colony within the vicinity; for example Phillips Island and the Apostles, because where there are penguins there are sharks, nice little appetizers.
3. Never leave your shoes outside, a deadly venomous spider could easily find its way in, if you do happen to leave your shoes out overnight, give them a quick tap to make sure an uninvited visitor in your shoe.
4. Watch out for stingers on the beaches as we move northward . These stingers have long tentacles that can wrap around your body and give you some nasty and potentially deadly stings if not treated immediately.
5. The northern areas of Australia do have mosquitoes transmit denge fever!
All very helpful and scary tips!! Meeting up with Victoria was very sobering and we approached our Australian visit with a measure of caution.
Victoria had lived in Canada for a few months with her family and appreciated the challenges of travelling. She was more than happy to open her home to us and it has been one of the highlights of our Australian trip!
We were all very grateful!!